Sunday, August 28, 2011

"Hey Honey, I'm heading to the mall to get some shirts, some soft pretzels, and a new car!"

So, after reading the title of this post, you're probably thinking one of few things:
  1. There must be a toy store, and this hypothetical mall shopper is going to pick up a Hot Wheels car or something. 
  2. This hypothetical mall shopper is Jeremy Clarkson and he finally wrecked that lime green Fiesta in an anchor department store.
  3. Soft pretzels sound good, I'll be right back, must stop by Auntie Anne's...
Actually, you might be thinking two of these things. One thing that you probably aren't thinking is that this mall shopper is really picking up a new full size car at the mall. You may think that's absurd, but it's something that's being tried at the Fashion Mall in Indianapolis, IN.


Northside Fiat: Changing the Way We Buy Cars

To my surprise and near disbelief, as I rounded one of the corners of the mall, lo and behold, protruding from the hallway wall, was a gleaming silver and red Fiat emblem. As I made my way closer, to my delight, a trio of glistening little 500s were parked within.




How can you not love these things?

Of course, soon after my excitement wore off, I started noticing the rest of the dealership, and boy is it something. You step through the big entry ways into a bright white and red room that looks like something between an Apple Store and a chic club; which is cool. All over you see modern, trendy chairs, TVs, desks, even a coffee bar. Lining the walls are all variety of Fiat merchandise. Anything from cufflinks to track jackets; even Fiat bocce!


Look, it's Fiat world!




Naturally, the main focus of any dealership is the cars, and they are genuinely charming. The lovable shape and compact dimensions make the 500 a nearly irresistible car to behold. I believe that for sheer styling cuteness, the 500 has dethroned the current Mini and Beetle. Inside, the 500 is just as nice with quality switchgear, a beautiful color matched dashboard, and a stylish gauge cluster with the tachometer nestled within the speedometer. And, at least for the front passengers, there was more than enough head and leg room. Driving wise, I can't say, since I didn't have time to test drive, but exterior and interior wise, it was quite pleasant. However, I'd like to say, Fiat needs to hurry up and start importing the Abarth models.


Whether car shopping at the mall will catch on or not, I'm not sure. I suspect that most mainstream car companies wouldn't be able to pull it off, with far too many models, and a need for high inventory. However, for what is currently a chic, fashionable, niche car and company, I believe that this unusual way of bringing cars and consumers together could be a very successful one. And, at the very least, it may give mall-weary "drag-alongs" something fun to do aside from sitting on a mall bench.

(P.S. This may be the last post for awhile, as I'm starting class tomorrow, and may be busy, but I will try to post as much as I can)

No comments:

Post a Comment